On this page...
About the Junior’s Program
Foster and reward youth participation, teach ethics in animal care, handling, and training practices, encourage young people to become actively involved in the sport, instill good sportsmanship, generate pride in accomplishments earned.
Junior Accomplishments 2018
PCA Juniors 2015 Recap By Tabatha Waters and Gina Wieser
What a GREAT TIME for PCA Juniors! While entries around the country statistically show a slow decline, the junior entries at the 2015 PCA Nationals were greater than 90% of Parent Clubs in the United States. Juniors participated in several disciplines, as well as two new attendees that joined us at our annual Jr.’s Round Table luncheon. It was exciting to welcome new faces seeking a mentor, and expressing great interest in the PCA Jr Education Program. Once again, Michael Knight came through with the contribution of the hospitality room for this event. Thanks, Michael!
From the Purina bags filled with donated items, to the Raffle Tickets that SOLD OUT; the PCA Jr Education thanks the supporters at the Greatest Show on Earth. All proceeds go towards future programs designed to encourage, educate, and engage juniors, the future of our sport!
This year the PCA juniors had the opportunity to attend three different learning seminars. The first on Monday; Laura Thistle donated her time teaching Canine First Aid and CPR. Thank you, Laura! Tuesday afternoon, a one on one grooming clinic, taught by Poodle professionals and headed up by committee member Terri Meyers. Wednesday the professionals were on the grass giving handling classes and training tips in conformation, obedience, and rally. We GREATLY appreciate that the Poodle handlers continue to donate their time. After all it is their busiest week of the year!
Wednesday also offered fun, playing games featuring PCA Poodle Facts during the midday Round Table pizza lunch. Thank you PURINA, coming through once again with a donation of a ring side chair for the Poodle Trivia winner, Melanie Lopez. A refurbished and stocked tack box was won by Hanna Sunderman. Thank you, Cynthia Tylenda, for the generosity of your time and hard work making it all look brand new and to Barb Furbush, for donating the tack box.
Tammy Breckenridge was the winner of a beautiful Poodle quilt, crafted and donated by Cynthia Tylenda. Cynthia graciously donated a unique Poodle Quilt two years in a row as our re-occurring fundraiser.
This was also the inaugural year of the 50/50 Raffle. The whopping five thousand dollar prize was awarded to Bruce Swift. Congratulations Tammy and Bruce! The PCA Jr Education Fund has grown to over $7,000 through your generous donations to the raffles. Thank you all for your time invested and to our donors from the fancy!
Congratulations to our BEST JUNIOR winners!
- MatthewTylenda- Conformation
- Rachel Rivkin- Rally
- Micheal Borga- Agility
Trophies for the winners of the various disciplines included a lovely etched glass Poodle bowl, Oster products, Purina products, and over three hundred dollars in various gift cards
It’s an exciting time to be a PCA junior. The PCA Anne Rogers Clark Junior Stipend Program has been launched and the guidelines are now pending final approval by the PCA Board of Directors. A stipend will be made available to a deserving junior who qualifies and competes at Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show, the AKC/ Eukanuba National Championship Dog Show and/or the PCA National Specialty. (Stay Tuned for more details!)
To all the parents, volunteers, handlers, PCA Jr Education Committee members, PCA Show Committee members, and the PCA Board of Directors we give a huge THANK YOU on behalf of the juniors, and the PCA Jr Education Program.
We could not do this without your time, great ideas, fabulous donations, selfless efforts, and enthusiastic support!!
Our future is so bright, we have to wear shades!
Ann Rogers Clark Stipend Program & Guidelines
PCA Junior Education Program Reports
PCA Stipend Information and Forms
- A $300 stipend is available by the PCA Junior Education Program (monies offered by PCA and contributions) to be applied to travel cost of a deserving Junior that has successfully gained an invitation to and competes in the Junior Showmanship Competition at the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show.
- A $300 stipend is available by the PCA Junior Education Program (monies offered by PCA and contributions) to be applied to travel cost for a deserving Junior that is invited and competes in the Junior Showmanship Competition at the AKC National Championship Show.
- A $300 stipend is available by the PCA Junior Education Program (monies offered by PCA and contributions) to be applied to travel cost for a deserving Junior that attends the PCA National Specialty and competes in any discipline of the sport that is offered at this show.
Basic applicant requirements:
- Applicant must be an eligible Junior (9-18 years of age) competing in any discipline of the sport with a Poodle
A minimum of 16 weeks of documented participation in 3 or more of the following:
- Participate in fundraising (if possible) at a PCA National or Regional
- Participate as a Junior, in any PCA Committee activities when possible i.e. show set-up breakdown, stewarding, Junior Ed booth set-up, assist t-shirt sales, show chair assigned tasks (age appropriate), assist in Hospitality, assist with Hunt/Field trials
- Volunteer with your dog in a service related activity/event, i.e. Bark in the Park, Meet the Breeds, visits to rehabilitative care/retirement-nursing home/hospital.
- Earn an AKC CGC title on your dog
- Attend and /or teach training classes in any discipline of competition
- Attend a Poodle breed seminar ( may attend at PCA National with approval of Judge’s Ed. Chairperson)
Mandatory applicant Requirements:
- Maintain 2.0 or equivalent Grade Point Average and satisfactory attendance record
- Write a minimum two-page essay about; your past year’s activities with your Poodle, recommendations to benefit yourself and others in the sport, your vision of the future in the sport.
- Should the junior be unable to attend – the PCA stipend must be returned by recipient to the PCA Treasurer/PCA Jr. Ed. Fund within 30 days of the show(s). (Priority mail with delivery of confirmation/tracking is recommended.)
Additional mandatory requirements for Westminster and AKC National Championship Show
- Monies only awarded for those qualifying in the calendar year prior to the attendance of the Westminster Kennel Club and/or AKC National Championship Show.
- Junior has fulfilled the requirements to participate in the Junior Showmanship Competition at the Westminster Kennel Club and/or the AKC National Championship Show with their Poodle.
- Junior Showmanship entry with noted requirements is submitted and accepted to Westminster Kennel Club and/or AKC National Championship Show.
- Acknowledgement of show entry will be photocopied and forwarded to the PCA Junior Education Committee Chairperson. If Junior is less than 18 years of age, name and address of parent/guardian must be included as check will be issued in his/her name. Junior will receive the stipend within 15 days of the Jr Ed Chair sending information to the PCA Treasurer. This will be PRIOR to the date of the show(s), if at all possible.
- Should the junior be unable to attend, the stipend monies must be returned by recipient to the PCA Treasurer/PCA Jr. Ed. Fund within 30 days of the show(s). (Priority mail with delivery confirmation/tracking is recommended.)
- Junior may qualify for both a Westminster Kennel Club and AKC National Championship Show stipend ($600 total) during the same year.
Juniors Educational Resources
Poodle Reference Library
We have established a reference library where Juniors can share, borrow and exchange all things poodles. We invite all the juniors to come and enjoy our library. It will be available throughout the show at the Juniors booth.
Donations are welcome! We are always looking to build on our current library. We are looking for Old/Used books, articles, CD’s, pictures, magazines, grooming charts / diagrams & any relevant materials.
Contact Our Coordinator
Ms. Gina Wieser